As we bid adieu to our beloved west side, we were
actually really looking forward to exploring the south for the first
time! We checked out of Napili Kai and started to make our way over to
Wailea. First I had to stop at Hale Zen located just off the beaten
path of Front Street. I had my heart set on a delicate gold Maui island
necklace made by Sparrow Seas (she also has an etsy shop). I contacted
her and asked where I could purchase one on island and she directed me
there. I just loved this little boutique....lots of locally made
jewelry and other awesome trinkets! Wish there were more of these kind
of shops...and less of the "Made in China" tchotchkes! I ended up
purchasing a necklace and bracelet for myself, and a necklace to bring
back home for my mom! I could have bought a lot more, but I have to
stick to some sort of budget (darn it!).
As we left
Lahaina, we put the top down in our convertible and enjoyed the
beautiful day...bright blue sky, wind in our hair, turquoise waters, and
island tunes turned up! Before we knew it, we were in Kihei and the
urge to try Coconuts for the first time struck us! It was packed when
we got there and we were happy to get a table! Soon enough our food
came out. Man, did we order too much! We got two tacos each, and a
side of onion rings. I'm sure I'll insult Coconuts devotees
everywhere, but I have to say I was disappointed in the tacos. I think
there's some sort of horseradish/wasabi ingredient, and I just really
can't stand that taste! Aside from that, the onion rings were super
delicious, and even their fountain soda was great...must be using extra
syrup because it was sweet and addicting! Even though they weren't my
favorite taco, I can see why people enjoy them! There was one guy who
was incredibly obnoxious! He sent his tacos back probably three times
declaring the fish wasn't fresh and had been frozen. Um, no...they use
fresh fish daily....and it sure tasted fresh to me!
Once we had successfully stuffed ourselves, we made our way over to my husband's relative's condo, which they generously offered us as a wedding gift! We pulled into the Wailea Elua complex, were handed our keys, and were home at last! We were really excited to be there...the condo was gorgeous, huge, and best of all...had A/C! Once we got settled, we decided to take a walk along the boardwalk to check out our next place to stay...the Four Seasons. It was really hot still, so the closer we got to the Four Seasons, the better it sounded to stop at Ferraro's for a drink! We plopped ourselves down and had a couple drinks (blueberry and mango mojitos for me), and enjoyed the shade and tradewinds. As we finished, we made our way back to the condo and finished the night just chillen'!
Some pictures from our Road to Hana journey . . .
Once we had successfully stuffed ourselves, we made our way over to my husband's relative's condo, which they generously offered us as a wedding gift! We pulled into the Wailea Elua complex, were handed our keys, and were home at last! We were really excited to be there...the condo was gorgeous, huge, and best of all...had A/C! Once we got settled, we decided to take a walk along the boardwalk to check out our next place to stay...the Four Seasons. It was really hot still, so the closer we got to the Four Seasons, the better it sounded to stop at Ferraro's for a drink! We plopped ourselves down and had a couple drinks (blueberry and mango mojitos for me), and enjoyed the shade and tradewinds. As we finished, we made our way back to the condo and finished the night just chillen'!
We pretty much spent
every other day at the condo just lounging around, with the exception
of the Road to Hana. I won't bore you with too many details, but we rented probably 5 redbox movies, read by the
pool, and just enjoyed doing nothing. We went to Maui Tacos one or two
more times (I couldn't get enough), 5 Palms, and Monkeypod Kitchen. I
wasn't a huge fan of 5Palms...we went for happy hour, but it just didn't
thrill me. The service was awful (20 minutes for drinks and forgot one
of our food orders) and the food was lackluster. Plus, we had a highly
intoxicated lady yapping next to us. I will say the view was nice
though...Ferraro's still has them beat by a mile in my opinion.
Monkeypod Kitchen was also a hit! It was again, very hot, but they put
down the shades on the patio and that helped a bit. The "No Ka Oi" was a
delicious drink and the view from the hillside of the ocean with the
sun shining down was breathtaking. Our server was super friendly.
Definitely plan to return on our next visit!
We have
discussed our favorite part of our entire honeymoon, and the Road to
Hana won our vote for sure (yes even more than the Four Seasons...more
on that in the next installment)! We started our journey from Wailea
about
6:45 in the morning. We made a stop in Paia for some gas and coffee.
The lines were so long for coffee, but we wanted to try something
special not just a cup from the gas station. Finally, after asking the
shell station convenience store lady for help, she directed us to Paia
Bay Coffee, which had recently moved. It turns out that I was one of
their very first customers, as they had opened the new location for the
first time as I walked through the doors. It really is hard to find,
but it was worth it! Charming little open air courtyard with friendly
workers
and great food! I ended up ordering a ham and cheese croissant, and it
truly is one of the best things we've ever eaten. Something that sounds
so simple, they executed to perfection. Fresh, buttery croissant,
delicious cheese, smoked ham, and a fantastic spread! We still think
about it! They were pretty slow, but what do you expect for a
restaurant that reopened the second you walk in the door? I'm sure they
worked out the kinks by now!
Once we got back on the
road, we popped in our Road to Hana CD, and reset our odometer when it
said to do it. I don't think we had the CD everyone raves about because
it didn't tell us a whole lot and the rhythm seemed off. But that's
ok! We were headed for the Pipiwai Trail, and that's the only must-do
we had on the list. I didn't think the actual road to Hana was that
bad...what made it bad were all the local drivers! I know they drive it
everyday, but they don't slow down or yield AT ALL on the one-lane
bridges. We had two terrifying encounters on blind corners: one with a
semi-style tow truck, who came barreling around the blind corner at
40mph and a gas truck who did the same. Really found the "aloha spirit"
missing from the locals on this trip, which was sad. Aside from the
scary drivers though, we had an incredible time.
We made it to the Pipiwai Trail around 10:30am. We packed a few snacks and some water in our backback and off we went! We felt very fortunate because the hike started off extremely warm and muggy. But about 10 minutes in, we were greeted by a cool mist that lasted almost the entire time. It was so refreshing! Each step led to something more spectacular...the trickling streams and falls, bamboo stalks playing their soothing tunes, lush flora and fauna...a truly special experience.
We made it to the Pipiwai Trail around 10:30am. We packed a few snacks and some water in our backback and off we went! We felt very fortunate because the hike started off extremely warm and muggy. But about 10 minutes in, we were greeted by a cool mist that lasted almost the entire time. It was so refreshing! Each step led to something more spectacular...the trickling streams and falls, bamboo stalks playing their soothing tunes, lush flora and fauna...a truly special experience.
Finally
we had made it to our goal....Waimoku Falls. In spite of the heat and
lack of rain this trip, we were thrilled to find the falls were fairly
strong. I
am sure it gets much heavier in the rainy months, but we were
absolutely in awe. The sheer height of the falls really creates a very
spiritiual experience. I was reminded how large our world is, and how
small a part I play in it. Hopefully the part I do play is a good and
contributing one.
We spent nearly an hour enjoying
the surroundings...albeit darting the little red ants crawling on the
rocks. We were one of the many hikers who disobeyed the sign stating
"not to cross this point as deaths have occurred." In hindsight I am
glad we did it, and even happier we walked slowly through the water on
the slippery moss covered rocks to stand underneath the falls. However,
sheer moments after crawling back over the stream, away from the falls, and
back to the hiking trail, a thunderous crack froze us in our footsteps.
We were certain an epic thunderstorm had begun. But after assessing
our surroundings, we realized the clatter we heard was in fact a
rockslide, just to the right of the falls. I suppose we should have
paid a bit more attention to the warning sign! Thankfully no one was
injured THIS time...
The journey back down the trail
was a tiring one. I consider myself to be in good shape for a young
adult. Still, my feet had decided they were done walking, and as we
ended our hike, I needed to sit on a fallen tree trunk for several
minutes. I was ready to get back in the car, but the hubby had other
ideas! He desperately wanted to go to Oheo Gulch, and so I obliged. We
slowly made our way there and I continued to take a seat as he waded in
the waters. I could tell there was less rainfall at the Gulch, as the
falls were minimal. Still he enjoyed them and said some of the parts of the water felt like hotsprings!
Once we made our way back to the
car, we drove into downtown Hana. Of course we had to pop into the
Hasegawa Store, where we both bought souvenir baseball hats. We also
got a popsicle across the street at Shaka Pops...the lady was a sweetheart who sold them!
We both got the coconut lime flavor. It was nice and refreshing,
although a little pricey for a popsicle. Got to support the locals
though! Finally we took a stroll through Travaasa Hana. The hubby had
stayed there with his family many years ago, when it was still the Hana Hotel. He
enjoyed the little walk down memory lane!
As we drove
back, we came to realize that we didn't encounter any rain while
driving, and were able to do the entire Road to Hana with our top down
on the convertible! Lucky us! We originally considered reserving a
table at
Mama's Fish House and I'm so glad we didn't. We were both sweaty and
tired, and ready to relax! Still, we did pull off to watch the
windsurfers for a few minutes at Ho'okipa Beach which was fun to see.
We made it back to the condo just as the
sun was going down. Ahhh....time to get back to lounging.Some pictures from our Road to Hana journey . . .
Up next . . . our Four Seasons Stay!
No comments:
Post a Comment